The Museum of Art's permanent collection of more than 15,000 objects originated in the taste and interests of the Williams and Proctor families, who collected American and European paintings, and decorative arts in the late 19th and 20th centuries. The expansion of the collection began in earnest after World War II. This effort intensified in 1957 when Edward W. Root bequeathed more than 200 major 20th-century American paintings and drawings to the Museum of Art, thereby distinguishing it as a major repository for the art of this era.
Please note, all the works of art mentioned in this site are not necessarily always on view.
For tour information, phone (315)797-0000, ext. 2170.