- Residency is nine months.
- August 19, 2019 through May 19, 2020.
- Two artists working in different media are in residence simultaneously.
- Call for artists rotates through disciplines each academic year.
- Artists receive two stipend payments of $1,250 in September and in January for a total of $2,500
- Fall and Winter session non-credit teaching opportunities in the Community Arts Education program; paid compensation as an Community Arts Education Instructor and subject to enrollment guidelines.
- Second floor studio space in the Tracy Street Studio building.
- Joint fall artists talk, winter open studio, spring exhibition, and promotion for these events.
- Furnished two-bedroom apartment with shared living and kitchen in the heart of the MWPAI campus.
- Cafeteria meal plan. (19 meals per week while college program is in session)
- Access to school facilities in your discipline.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Develop own artwork and self-directed studio practice in the provided studio space.
- Work with the Community Arts Ed Coordinator and department prior to arriving to develop non-credit classes and workshops to teach in your field.
- Present a lecture of current work, open studio, and joint exhibition of new work during residency.
- Design crafts for free family programming for approx 4 events.
- Up to eight hours of weekly involvement with full-time PrattMWP faculty in your discipline.
- Artists must provide own materials and specialized equipment for own studio practice.
- Transportation to and during residency.
- Artists must cover any additional costs of living.
The 2018/19 disciplines are Animation and Painting/Drawing. Applicants are MFA preferred. Applicants may not be enrolled in any degree program at time of residency. Disciplines rotate each academic year.
International artists, please take the following into consideration: International artists are responsible for obtaining a visa, as well as necessary documentation for travel and employment within the United States. MWPAI can provide formal letters of invitation and additional support information requested, however it is the artist's responsibility to carry the burden of the visa acquisition process through the appropriate channels. Please consider the timeline for making such arrangements. Artists must be reasonably fluent in English.
MWPAI is a recognized program by International Arts & Artists, a non-profit organization that sponsors J-1 visas for international interns, trainees, and scholars participating in cultural exchanges with American arts institutions. More info at www.artsandartists.org
A panel consisting of the Dean, Full-time Faculty, Museum Education Coordinator, and Community Art Ed Coordinator will review applications and select artists for the 2018/19 season. Artists will be selected based on the quality of their work and their potential for making the most of their time in the program. Finalists will be interviewed and/or invited to visit MWPAI before being offered residency. All applicants will be notified by email. Please do not call the office for selection results.
This is an entirely online application process via Submittable.com. It is recommended that answers are prepared offline, saved in a text or word document, and copied/pasted into the application form so that work is not lost. Do not email or mail your application.
1. Artistic Discipline (Animation or Painting/Drawing )
2. CV (pdf)
3. Please list 3 professional references and contact information
4. Artist Statement (250 Words)
5. Class/workshop proposals (250 Words: 1 - 3 short descriptions of ideas. These are non-binding. )
6. Artist website
7A. Painting/Drawing Applicants: Images of artwork - 15 Samples (Preferred format: JPG, TIFF. Resolution: 300DPI. File size: max 5MB.)
7B. Animation Applicants: At least 5 animation samples ( 0 - 3 minutes each max ) and 10 still images (Accepted formats: JPG, TIFF, GIF, MP4, AVI, MOV, links, and
more. Resolution: 300DPI. File size: max 5MB.)
8. Description of each image (60 Words: title, year, medium, dimensions, additional info)